Saturday 4 October 2014

Antidepressants (and other mental disorder medication)

Hiya for the third time today!

Right now I'm here to talk to you guys about medicine. Ew, I know right?

But medicine isn't always as bad as it seems.

I'm talking mainly about antidepressants in this article. If you want me to go into more depth in anything, just ask. Comment on this post or check out the link under 'about us'. ;)

There are a lot of myths surrounding the issue of medication against mental disorders. I have heard a lot of untrue 'facts' about antidepressants, for example.

Let me first of all state what I know is actually true:


  • Antidepressants and antianxiety can work in reverse - there are many of them out there so the one(s) you first try might not be the right one(s) for you,
  • There are over 200 types of medicine. It's not only prozac and xanax.
  • The first 2 weeks taking antidepressants are the hardest usually because your body needs to adjust its chemicals in your brain so it might work in reverse at first, and get a lot better steadily later.
  • If you suddenly stop taking your medicine because you don't feel like you need them anymore and your doctor hasn't told you to, you will sufffer the consequences.
  • There are always side effects. They won't necessarily be very big but if you don't like them you can always change your medication (e.g. I was gaining weight with Lexapro so I stopped taking that (with the permission of my psychiatrist) and I started taking something that focusses on hormones more instead).
But what I've also experienced is that:

  • They help. They really do. Without them, I probably wouldn't be alive to tell you this right now.
  • Psychiatrists are there to help you. They won't judge you. They'll try their best to find something that suits your situation and will not give up.
  • After 1-2 weeks the effects of you getting better will (most likely) start to show - this feels great.
Don't expect medicine to make it all better though; it's not some miracle cure. It's to help you be stable enough to undergo therapy without the strong suicidal ideation and/or self-harm urges, etc.

Be strong! <3

-Dani





No comments:

Post a Comment